Proton beam therapy treatment for prostate cancer.
A survey conducted this year, 2014, has shown that approximately 97% of patients who received proton therapy, some as long as 10 years ago, have not had a recurrence of prostate or any other cancer, or experienced any problems with surrounding organs such as the bladder, rectum or colon.
For prostate cancer patients, proton beam treatment has clinically proven benefits, and is an excellent alternative option to conventional X-ray radiation, invasive surgery or other treatments. The precisely targeted cancer area minimises the radiation dose to healthy tissue.
Unfortunately, not all specialists and physicians who treat men with prostate cancer advise them that alternative treatments view site are available. Prostate cancer patients deserve the opportunity to choose a therapy that has fewer side effects during treatment and cause less adverse changes in their lifestyles.
A choice of treatment will have a major impact on a patient’s health, psychological well-being, and the ability to enjoy his life.
Some encouraging reasons to opt for proton beam treatment for prostate cancer.
- Quicker recovery and fewer side effects.
- Painless treatments, leaving you free to live your with little disruption.
- Excellent study data and survey results:
- Of 3632 patients who responded, 98% believed they had made the correct treatment decision.
- Of 3636 patients. 96% have recommended proton treatment to others.
- Of 3642 patients, 85% reported that the quality of life was better (27%) or the same as (58%) before.
Clinical benefits for paediatric patients.
A paediatric patient’s developmental stage makes them particular sensitive to the side effects of radiation. Researchers are excited about the successes achieved in the proton beam treatment of paediatric cancers, especially those of the neck, head and eyes.
Proton technology continues to evolve. This has resulted in the development of the “pencil-beam” scanning nozzle, which affords an even greater level of accuracy and safety. This new device is now used by proton facilities worldwide, especially for children, and also for adults.
The power of proton therapy.
- The power of proton beam therapy lies mainly in its precision abilities, with an extremely low risk of damaging side effects. Dangerous side effects often limit an oncologist’s ability to deliver a powerful radiation dose using conventional X-ray radiation methods.
- The treatment can be used in conjunction with chemotherapy.
- Recurrent tumours can be treated in patients who have already received radiation, as traditional radiation cannot be used in an area which has already been radiated.
- Protons can deliver increased strength doses, which will reduce the number of sessions required for treatment.
- Improved local tumour control.
- A much lower chance of another tumour developing as a result of treatment.
The National Association for Proton Therapy, a non-profit organisation, supported by proton centre members, promotes education and public awareness about the clinical benefits of proton beam radiation therapy.
Research scientists have predicted that because of the much lower health risks involved, and the precision capabilities of Proton Therapy, it has the potential to become the first choice of radiation oncologists and specialist doctors in the future.